Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 54 - Slow Progress


June 18, 2012
Day 54
Miles: 14
Total Miles: 804


Threshold taking a brief rest
The three of us made slow progress today.  The altitude and a couple of days off must be slowing us down.  Also, the constant climbing and descending really takes it's toll in the Sierra's.  We took many breaks and felt exhausted and frustrated with our slow progress.  Finally, after an early evening break and a meal of linguine and tomato/mushroom sauce, I felt energized and pounced up six miles of trail toward Pinchot Pass feeling strong.  I need to eat more pasta on the trail!

I camped tonight partway up Pinchot Pass and enjoyed a fire with Sid and Thresh.  The mosquitos have been horrendous since Charlotte Lake and the fire, along with copious amounts of Deet, helped dissipate the little devils.




On a break

Sierra Lakes

Passing the 800 mile point of the trail!

3 comments:

  1. Russ, glad to hear you are doing well. I was worried when I didn't see a blog for a while. I love reading your stories, please keep them coming! Michelle Howell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Good to hear from you. Hope your new job is working out for you. -Russ

      Delete
  2. Keep it up Russ.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!