Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 56 - Muir Pass


June 20, 2012
Day 56
Miles: 17
Total Miles: 842
Self-Portrait on Muir Pass
Muir Pass was impressive - the best yet!  The climb was a long one:  ten miles of ascending from 8000 ft to 12,000 ft.  Around every bend was a new alpine lake, a snaking river or another amazing view!  There were several snow crossings on the way up as well - unusual this year.  Several times I came up to a peak up ahead and anticipated the summit only to be shown a much taller peak - false summits!  But I was never dissapointed with the accompanying views.


Sunset over Sapphire Lake after Muir Pass
Finally at the top - I found Creeper and Twisted exploring the Muir Hut, which was built by the Sierra Club to honor the contributions of the founder - John Muir.  I was tempted to sleep in the hut but instead decided to hike down four miles to Sapphire Lake and set up camp as the sun set over the lake.  I found a nice spot and snapped some pictures of the sun reflecting off the lake.  

Jamaican Jerk Rice & Chicken and some green tea for dinner.  A fantastic day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!