Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 19 - A Little Civility

May 13, 2012
Day 19
Miles:  0
Total Miles:  266

Taking a zero day today at Big Bear Hostel to let my Achilles Tendon heal.  I went to the theatre near the hostel to watch The Avengers, with Pop Star (Carl).  It is very strange to be in these two worlds - the trail world of dirt, dark sun-burned skin and dehydrated meals; and the normal world of clean, shaved, white-skinned and jeans-wearing tourists and week-enders going about their lives.  Sitting in the theatre with Pop Star I started looking around at the audience and everybody seemed so clean and smelled of cologne and shampoo.  Even after a shower and laundry I know I still smelled like the trail. I certainly felt like the trail in my cut-off shorts and sweat-stained hiking shirt and puffy down jacket.  I pulled out the trail mix I had snuck in the theatre in my puffy jacket and enjoyed a little civility, for tomorrow I knew I would be huffing and puffing up or down another mountain.

View of Big Bear Lake from the trail

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!