Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 3 - Boulder Oaks Campground

Day 3
April 28, 2012
Miles:  6
Total Miles: 26

Yesterday (Friday) was spent at Lake Moreno enjoying Burritos for dinner and other trail-angel magic for breakfast (coffee) and luch (tacos from Thomas Figueroa).  Today, Saturday, after a few burgers cooked up at the lake, I took my first trepedacious steps north past Lake Moreno and am now camping with a group of about 6 in the Boulder Oaks Campground 6 miles north at mile 26.1.  Everything is going great so far and I am learning my way around my gear and how much water to carry.  I have the capacity to carry 6 liters of water (a 3 liter bladder, 2 liter platypus and 1 liter platypus).  I am finding that I  need approximately 1 liter for every 3 miles or so - give or take based on weather and elevation changes, etc..  It's a challenge to carry the right volume of water...too much and you end up carrying an extra several un-needed pounds and arrive at your next water stop with several liters.  Too little and you risk being dehydrated.  I think I'll take it cautiously for now and carry more than I think I need until I get the hang of what my body needs on these hot desert hikes.

View from the trail several miles north of Lake Moreno


0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!