Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 105 to 106 - Etna

August 8 - 9
Day 105 to 106
Miles:  5+12 (my best guess)
Total Miles:  1618


After a short hike to the road, Fall Risk and I caught a ride from someone from town who was dropping other thru-hikers back onto the trail.  We asked that he take us directly to Bob's Restaurant where we walked in, dirty and smelling of trail funk, and had breakfast.  The server, a middle-aged woman, did not look so pleased to be serving a couple of stinky hikers but she did all the same.  


Fall Risk was going to take a zero here in Etna, perhaps a couple zero's as his foot problems were plaguing him.  When I ran across him two days ago on the trail he had taken a "trail-zero" to let his foot rest.  He had suffered from an infection several years ago while stationed in the middle-east (he was piloting refueling aircraft for the air force.)  This infection was not treated quickly and it spread throughout his right leg.  Much of the muscle in his leg was affected and his ankle joint lost flexibility.  He now cannot move his ankle joint, which means he has a limp.  Courageously, he has hiked the entire Appalachian trail on this leg and now more than half of the Pacific Crest Trail.  His foot suffers due to a loss of feeling and the awkward gate, but he pushes through none-the-less.

The hiker hostel in Etna was ok - no laundry due to a broken washing machine but the shower was well received.  The brewery in Etna had great burgers and good beers.

Anxious to keep moving since Jubel had skipped Etna and I did not want to fall too far behind him, I joined Weather Carrot and we hitch-hiked out of Etna to the trail.   I am not sure how many miles I covered that day (I failed to update my journal) but I camped that night by myself on a ridge and was lulled to sleep by cow-bells. 

Weather Carrot hitching out of Etna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!