Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 21 - Deep Creek Hot Springs

May 15, 2012
Day 21
Miles:  23
Total Miles:  308

I took my time this morning with breakfast and coffee - the last one to depart from the camp site.  I started walking at about 7:45, at least an hour past my preferred starting time.  I passed Desert Fox and Masa again.  Masa is a Japanese hiker who I've been skipping around the past week or so on the trail.  He is easily identified with his bright pink shorts and tall gaiters up to his knees.  He is short and carries a 60+ lb pack under his small frame.  Somehow, through, he is always ahead of me on the trail.  I've learned to recognize his footprints in the dirt and everyday I seem to catch him in the afternoon (after my late start) and pass him a few hours before camping.  I usually pass him on the uphill sections and I pass him with a smile  as he says to me "I'm tired" with his strong Japanese accent and usually big smile.  He speaks just a little english but his facial expression says it all for me.

MASA!


Sand Bags at the Hot Springs
Gopher Snake?


I had lunch at the bridge at the deep creek - a nice scenic spot with shade, sand and a shallow, cool creek to wade into where the knats are not so ferocious.  By evening I made it to the Deep Creek Hot Springs - a clothing optional hot springs that has several springs forming hot pools that flow into the creek.  Sand bags have been used to block the flow so that pools of several feet deep form to soak in and relax.  I caught up to Three Bears, Ben, Justin and the Three Gay Caballieros here.



Hikers lounging at the hot springs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!