Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 32-33 - Shake Camp and "Hiker Town"


May 27-28, 2012
Day 32-33
Miles: 39 (over 2 days)
Total Miles: 518




500 Miles in 32 days!

I left late from The Andersons this morning due to a bit of ride confusion.  A few of us finally piled into Little Steps car (Honey Bear, Oasis and Garden Nome) and stopped off at the mini-mart before heading to the trail two miles down the road.  Little Steps is the same Little Steps who, along with Tarzan, gave some amazing trail magic back near Mt. Laguna - Omelletes and Margaritas.  She is up here today giving rides to and from the trail - and enjoying the atmosphere at the Andersons.

On trail I climbed a steep several miles up into the hills and then wove through them for the rest of the day, eventually climbing into a pine and juniper forest to find a nice place to camp (just past Shake Camp).  Others who were making toward Shake Camp and missed it like I did also stumbled on the same camp site and by the time the sun went down there were 4-5 tents in the little grove by the trail - including Honey Bear, Oasis, Wooly and Darkness and Garden Nome.

on the next day I crossed a milestone - 500 miles!  I've come so far on this trip but still have more than 75% of my hike left to go - 2,150 miles to be precise.  The high Sierra starts at Kennedy Meadows at mile 702 which means I am only a week away from leaving the desert for good!

I walked into "Hiker Town" this evening, at seven, after climbing down the mountains into Antellope Valley - the Mojave Desert.  It is a strange feeling walking through the gates of this private property, with a half-dozen dogs sniffing and barking, and nobody around.  "Hiker Town" reminds me of an amusement park attraction - resembling a small western town with several building labeled "Hotel", and "Saloon".  The owner was not there, but a caretaker takes donations for a bed, shower and laundry for the night.  I gladly "donated" ten dollars for the privilege of sleeping on a couch and doing laundry.  The common area also had a kitchen with stove and couches and tables to rest.  I would be out the next morning to cross the hot Mojave Desert...the flattest stretch of the trail.

"Hiker Town"





0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!