Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 42 - Kennedy Meadows At Last


June 6-8, 2012
Day 42-44
Miles: 21
Total Miles: 702
Chilling in front of Tom's "Internet Cafe"


Kennedy Meadows!  After 702 miles of Southern California desert hiking, I have finally arrived at the "Gateway to the Sierra's".  This marks the entrance to the Southern Sierra Wilderness and the end of hot deserts, cactus and carrying liters of water.  In the desert we often carried four or more liters of water to get us through long dry stretches.  In the Sierra's, I will rarely carry more than 1.5 liters, and often less!  The weight I save in water (2 lbs per liter) will be replaced with extra food (longer stretches between resupply) and a bear canister which is a required food storage container that is bear-proof. (well...some brainy bears have learned to break into these canisters but the majority can not.)  Bear canisters are required until we exit the Yosemite Wilderness, 400 miles north.

But first - some well deserved R&R...and some beer and ice-cream...

Siddartha and Ben at the KM General Store & Cafe

Hiker Trash enjoying coffee at Tom's Place
My heaviest pack yet - 43 lbs!




2 comments:

  1. I am loving the blog Russ!! Keep the stories coming! The pictures are gorgeous!
    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy I enjoy updating the blog when I have time. I'm far behind but I'll catch up.

      Delete

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!