Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 37 - Dehydration in Tehachapi Mtns


June 1, 2012
Day 37
Miles: 21
Total Miles: 586



It was a long and dry climb up from Hwy 58.  This is one of the longest dry stretches, with eighteen miles and no water, I carried about 3.5 liters from the highway.  This was an under-estimation.  I ran out of water 3-4 miles from reaching the spring.  Many others proclaimed that this was the worst section of the hike for them.  The heat really makes a difference and on reflection, I should have carried more water and possibly done some night hiking to avoid the heat altogether.

click to see enlarged image
After leaving the spring at six I found a spot about three miles farther on a mound under some giant wind turbines that were whirling above me.  The first spot I chose was decent looking but after setting up and cooking some food, I noticed the little roving red ants coming out around my sleep pad.  I tried putting tent stakes in the ground to set up a tent, but this mound might as well be concrete because nothing was getting into that ground - and so I packed up and hiked on in the dark with my headlamp looking for another place to camp.  A mile down the trail I found a suitable site next to a fire ring.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!