Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 35 - A Wind Swept Town: Mojave


May 30-31, 2012
Day 35-36
Miles: 24 (over 2 days)
Total Miles: 565

I hitched for the first time on the trail into the town of Mojave.  The nice guy below (forgot his name) gave me a lift and took me on a tour of the desert town.

Thanks for the Ride!!

Wind Turbines are big business here in the desert

The most memorable thing about my stay at Mojave - the Roadhouse Cafe and Primo Burgers.  The mile walk to The Roadhouse Cafe was either leaning into the wind or being pushed along by the wind - I am guessing sustained 30 mph winds!  I went to both places twice to load up on calories.  The Motel 6 was descent and I was able to run a load of laundry and walk across the street to resupply with food to get me to Kennedy Meadows.  All in all, I was happy to leave Mojave the next day and I don't plan on returning anytime soon.

Cowboy Camping with Iceman in a wash near Hwy 58



After getting a ride from Jayne, who works in Mojave and offered to provide a ride after she left work, Iceman and I climbed just seven miles from the Tehachapi road to Highway 58 in preparation for a grueling climb into the Tehachapi Mountains the next day.  We cowboy camped in a wash (no tent) along with Garden Nome.  The Tehachapi Mountains are technically the beginning of the Sierras - some call them the tail - but they are hot and dry and have little in common with the grand mountains we will be seeing in the coming weeks past KM.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

PCT Northern Terminus

PCT Northern Terminus
On September 30, 2012 I reached the Northern Terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail. Thanks to everybody who supported and followed my journey. It was a life-changing experience!